Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Poor Little Guy

Today at about 10:30 we got an e-mail from the director of the daycare where Cooper goes. The e-mail said that several kids (3 out of 5 classrooms) had been vomitting and some had a fever. She said that if your child got sent home, do not bring them back until they have been without symptoms for at least 24 hours. As I read that I was thinking, "Hopefully Cooper will avoid sickness this time." No such luck.

At about 2:30 his teacher called. She said Cooper had just woke up from his nap and he had vomitted. When I got there he had vomitted again and she told me that it wasn't very much either time. Well, we got in the car and headed to get Allison at her office. We turned left on 2nd Ave. and I heard a weird noise. When I looked back at Cooper he had stuff coming out of his mouth. For any of you who have children that have had a stomach bug before, it is the most helpless feeling in the world. I felt like I was letting him down because he didn't understand what was going on and there was nothing I could do. When we go to Allison's building I tried to clean him up a little. That really didn't matter. Over the next 30 minutes he got sick 3 more times, all in the car. Each time I felt horrible and helpless.

After we got home he went to sleep. We got him up and fed him some crackers and Pedialyte. He held that down for a little bit, but eventually some of that came up too. We don't think all of it came back up, so we are encouraged that he is on the upswing. Please pray that he will start getting better. I just can't bear to see him struggling like that. With all the reflux and ear infection trouble he has had, this seems to affect me the most. As I said, I just feel helpless. Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a helpless feeling! So sorry the little guy is sick! Hang in there!

Ashley said...

We've been down that road recently too! It is terrible when you know they feel awful and can't understand what is going on. Kids are so resilient though (Caroline will start playing and ating "normal" even when she is still obviously sick) and Cooper will surprise you at how quickly he gets back to the important business of playing. Love him and let him rest in the meantime!

Jennifer said...

Oh, poor Cooper! I hope that he is feeling better soon! Its so hard as parents when our babies get sick and there is nothing we can do! We'll be praying!!!!!!!!