Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Book Review - The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

“Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.” This was the prayer of World Vision founder, Bob Pierce, and I believe this is what Richard Stearns wants people to want out of his book ‘A Hole in Our Gospel.’ In this book Mr. Stearns uses his own personal experiences as well as staggering statistics to show where we, as Christians, often miss the mark when it comes to following Jesus’ commands.

This is a great book, but it took me a long time to read it. Mainly because there is so much heavy information, I could only digest it in small doses. There have only been a few books that I have read that I found myself coming back to in my mind, even if I had not picked it up in a few days. As I read the book, I found myself continually thinking “are you kidding me,” and I am sure Allison got tired of me saying “can you believe…?”

I would definitely recommend this book. This is a book that I believe can be a great challenge to anyone, especially those of us that call ourselves Christ-followers.

No comments: