Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Amazing Progress

On Thursday afternoon when I picked Cooper up he was in a swimmer diaper. I told Allison when I picked her up and she asked Cooper if he went to the potty. He replied, "Yes, Ms. Neesha took me." Because Ms. Neesha is not his teacher, we didn't really believe him. On Friday we took Cooper to day-care in diapers. We asked Ms. Neesha about his diaper from the day before and she told us that she had, in fact, taken him several times and that he didn't pee in a diaper from about 10:30 through the rest of the day. Well, when I picked him up on Friday I asked his teacher if he went to the potty during the day. She shook her head no and gave this face like, "Are you kidding me?"

When he and I got up Saturday morning I decided to try him in a underwear. After about 30 minutes he ran into the kitchen where I was and said "I pee peed in the floor." I was a little discouraged, but notice that it was a very small amount. I took him in the bathroom and asked him to try and get the rest of the pee pees out. After about 15 seconds he squealed with delight as he pee peed in his little potty. So, of course, we handed out jelly beans, put on clean underwear, and started hoping for the best. After about 20 minutes, he said "I have to pee pee." He ran into the bathroom and did it all by himself. We were so excited. For the rest of the day, with the exception of a trip to Target and the grocery store, he went in the bathroom without any accidents. He did very well Sunday, and hasn't had any pee pee accidents at school yet either. We couldn't be more proud of the progress he has made. He definitely decided on his own, and most of the time now he doesn't even want me or Allison to come in the bathroom while he is in there. He is getting to be such a big boy.