Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Never Take a Moment for Granted

Over the past few days I have been reminded why we so often hear, "Don't take anything for granted." On Sunday I learned that the wife of a friend of mine that I played ball with in college had passed away. She was 30 years old and they have 3 children ages 1, 3, and 5. Just a few days prior to learning this news I told Allison "If anything ever happens to you, we will have the worst kid on the block. It will be sleeping in my room and brownies for breakfast everyday." I said this jokingly, but I can't even begin to think about what my friend is going through tonight. When we saw him at the visitation the first thing he said to us was "Guys, go home and hug your wives." At the time Allison was on a plane from Cincinnati to Nashville. You can bet, however, that as soon as she walked through that door she got a big hug from me. It's now been 24 hours since I talked to my friend, but what he said to me is still resonating through my head. Hug your spouse tonight as if you won't get to tomorrow. Unfortunately for my friend, he doesn't have that opportunity.

No comments: